Monday, February 9, 2009

NY Comic Con

The New York Comic Convention took place over the weekend. These occasions, and there are several throughout the year, are where the publishers announce their plans: new titles, new creators on old titles, signings of new talent, announcements about editorial direction, etc. As a fan, one does not necessarily attend these things (I'm not fond of fan-oriented conventions based on my limited experience to date) but one does follow them online to see what is new and exciting.

So what's new? Not much. What's exciting? Very little. Dullest convention so far for news that interests me, I'm afraid.

The one thing that caught my attention at all was the new creators on Fantastic Four after Mark Millar and Bryan Hitchens are done. Writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Dale Eaglesham will take over. I don't know anything at all about Hickman; I like Eaglesham, who's been doing handsome work for Justice Society of America, but I wouldn't have pictured him doing the sleek, futuristic FF. But I will certainly give this a chance.

UPDATE: Missed one. This article describing a panel discussion on the Venture Brothers animated program was also interesting. No new information, unfortunately. This is the only one of the gross-out cartoon shows that I like - can't watch South Park, unimpressed with the lifeless, illogical and derivative Family Guy, don't have much use for any of the others (although Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law was often fun). But Venture Brothers is a delight. For the uninitiated, an extremely strange satire on Jonny Quest, the Hardy Boys, Scooby-Doo and superheroes all at the same time. Much better than it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Visitors since Jan. 23, 2009:

Site Meter