Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hubris

Last weekend, the Comic Book Legends Revealed column asked the question: when was Dr. Strange's home (in Marvel Comics Greenwich Village) first called the "Sanctum Sanctorum?" Shortly thereafter, the great Dr. Strange blogger Neilalien noted the question and said that he would check when he had time but perhaps some other Doc uber-fan would get to it first.

Well, I thought (and said out loud, too) "That would be me!" Starting from the beginning in Essential Doctor Strange 1, which reprints the earliest stories, and taking notes, I found that the earliest mention of the name was in Strange Tales #128. Just to be on the safe side, I unearthed and checked my copy of the original issue to make sure there hadn't been some sort of editing change. I commented at Comic Book Legends Revealed to that effect, and also emailed Neilalien with my findings, finding that a good excuse to make some observations regarding a recent post he had made. And I thought: job well done.

Or not. Tonight, the master emailed me and with his customary exquisite courtesy pointed out that Doc actually first used the phrase in Strange Tales #125. I ran for my copy of Essential Doctor Strange 1 and yes, there it is on page 4, panel 4. I actually remember looking at that very panel (there were a lot of scenes of the Sanctum that issue), but somehow it didn't impress itself on me.

Ah well. On the plus side, the established order of the universe has asserted itself. I am quite a fan of Dr. Strange - it is my ambition to collect every issue in which appears, even as a cameo, and I am well along in the project - and yet I am but the pupil, and Neilalien is the master. And that is surely as it should be.

Tamam shud!

2 comments:

  1. Who is "the master" in the next to last paragraph and what does "Tamam shud!"mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "master" in this context is Neilalien. Tamam Shud! is alleged to be Tibetan for goodbye, if I recall correctly. Doctor Strange talk, both items.

    ReplyDelete

 

Visitors since Jan. 23, 2009:

Site Meter